Look away and they may shoot through the roof. We’re talking about e-commerce shipping costs. If there is any one area that deserves your undivided attention, this is it. E-commerce shipping can account for as much as 25 percent of your overall costs. Fortunately, there are things you can do to bring your shipping costs down.
Consider the following tips to lower your e-commerce shipping costs:
- Adjust box size: How many times have you opened an order only to find the product could have done with a much smaller box? Shipping air is not the best business strategy. Still, a surprising number of orders arrive in oversized boxes. Keeping packaging to a minimum is especially important since most carriers charge based on price and weight.
- Choose the right delivery service: Sometimes the obvious choice may still not be the right one. Have you ever selected two-day air parcel delivery when you need to get your package to its destination in two days? Although it seems to make sense, it could be a waste of money since the price tag includes a higher premium and a fuel surcharge that you don’t necessarily need to pay to get the package delivered on time; FedEx, for example, guarantees two-day delivery using standard ground service.
- Review invoices: It pays to pay attention. If you come across additional charges on your shipping invoice, it’s time to take action. Billing charges that appear after the fact are often hard to challenge, but by keeping close track, you can ensure it doesn’t happen again. Such charges may be the result of entering the wrong dimensions or other errors. Couriers may also accidentally break contractual agreements, leaving you to challenge the charges – or overpay for shipping.
- Seek refunds: Did the courier deliver your package in accordance with the on-time shipment guarantee? Although the answer is “yes” at least nine out of 10 times, delays do happen. When large carriers like FedEx and UPS fail to meet the guarantee, you have an opportunity to seize the refund that you are entitled to.
- Leverage a cloud-based shipping platform: Sure, you could call individual couriers and try to negotiate better rates. But we know time – and profit margins – are precious to small business owners like you. By leveraging a cloud-based shipping platform, you can streamline the shipping process while also taking advantage of the most competitive rates from tier 1 carriers. Simply input your shipment information to instantly find the best rates and most appropriate carriers for your needs. Print the label and send. It’s that easy.
E-commerce shipping costs should not break the bank or your business. If the marketplace seems like too much to handle, let eShipper help. Click here to learn more about us or contact us for more information.