International shipments of products from Canada exceeded $400 billion in 2015. With the majority of courier services focused exclusively on the delivery of goods to clients within the Canadian borders, the need for international shipping companies in Canada is paramount. When choosing between international shipping companies, it's important to select a company that offers a combination of experience and special resources. The list below will provide a clear breakdown of what you should be looking for in a potential international shipping company.
The Significance of Experience
When evaluating shipping companies in Canada, it is critical to consider a company’s experience and number of years in the Canadian logistics industry. Below are a few key characteristics that should be sought when choosing a company to help you with your international shipments:
- Experience preparing export documentation
- Familiarity with various modes of transportation
- Knowledge of products that cannot be imported
- Ability to estimate transit times to various countries
The Importance of Special Resources
Overseas shipments require a ton of additional resources beyond those required for standard domestic courier services. Some of the additional resources required include the following:
- Special packaging, such as the use of heat-treated wooden crates
- Staff with experience in loading shipping containers
- Customized paperwork, such as commercial invoices and certificates of origin
- Inclusion of specific tariff codes
- A dedicated resource to coordinate with freight forwarders
Choosing Between International Shipping Companies
With a clear need for companies in Canada, there is a growing number of firms advertising international shipping services. It is crucial to choose a company with the experience and resources required to safely and efficiently transport your products to your clients overseas.
Contact us and request a free shipping strategy analysis for you and your overseas customers.